Tuesday 27 March 2012

Racism and the Hunger Games

Sometimes people make me very, very angry.  This is one of those times.  I noticed A Dribble of Ink's post last night, linking to this article about racist white people complaining about the casting of Cinna, Rue and Thresh in the Hunger Games movie.  Personally, I thought all the actors in the film did a fantastic job, these three included (Cinna's one of my favourite characters in the book and I thought Lenny Kravitz was dead on).

I think Rue's role would have been better with a bit more time to develop her relationship with Katniss, but again, Amandla Stenberg did a fantastic job in the role.  In fact, I'd love to see her in something else (and looking at her imdb bio, she's also in Colombiana, which features parkour, so I guess I know what I'll be picking up soon).  She's even more impressive when you realize she plays violin, drums and guitar and started modelling at age 4!

We like to think that racism is gone or getting better.  It isn't.  Until people can see other people as, well, people, instead of 'black' or 'asian' or 'hispanic' or 'white', etc. we'll always have racism.  I'm not saying that nationality or family background are bad.  But there comes a point when you have to stop asking where people are from and who their parents are and just accept them as people.  Like you.  With the same rights, privileges, foibles and positive aspects that you and people who look like you have.  Regardless of where you're from, where you are now and what you look like.

End of rant.

No comments: