Wednesday 10 February 2010

Love Among the Stars, a Romantic Sci-Fi Reading List

I know the Martin Grove Public Library just did a similar reading list (which is more comprehensive than mine so check it out). I happened to do my own list around the same time and found several titles they missed. I mixed in some traditional romance authors who did books with a sci-fi slant as well as a few hard core sci-fi books with faint romance elements. I'm only listing one or two books, though many of these authors have several more. The list is in no particular order.


Eve Kenin - Driven, Hidden
Colby Hodge - Twist
C. J. Barry - Unearthed, Unleashed
Susan Kearney - The Quest, Solar Heat
Patricia Waddell - True Deception, True Blood
Susan Grant - Star Prince Julie Czerneda - In the Company of Others
Catherine Asaro - Skyfall
Lois McMaster Bujold - A Civil Campaign
Kate Elliott - Jaran
Frank Herbert - Dune
Sharon Shinn - Heart of Gold
Dave Wolverton - Star Wars: The Courtship of Princess Leia
S. L. Viehl - Stardoc
Anne McCaffrey - Dragonsdawn
Sandra McDonald - Outback Stars
Stainslaw Lem - Solaris
Edgar Rice Burroughs - Princess of Mars
Linnea Sinclair - Down Home Zombie Blues, Hope's Folly
Orson Scott Card - Memory of Earth
Alan Dean Foster - Flinx's Folly

And thanks to reader comments for the following:
Ursula Leguin - Left Hand of Darkness
Dennis Danvers - Curcuit of Heaven

4 comments:

graywave said...

I really think you should make room on the list for 'The Left Hand of Darkness' by Ursula K. le Guin, one of the most beautiful sci-fi love stories ever.

PJ said...

Circuit of Heaven by Dennis Danvers is the only SF novel that's ever made me cry. And I'm a dude.

Sandra, your tropical tour guide said...

Thanks for the shout out! :-) I appreciate it.

Marlene @ Reading Reality said...

I love this list. And it's scary how many of these I've read!
But I used to work in the library in the town next door to this library. It's not Martin Grove, it's Morton Grove.
Every other suburb in the Chicago Area is something either Oak, Park, Brook, River, Wood, Forest, or Grove.
It can be really confusing!