Thursday 4 February 2010

How I Interview Reprise

I did a post a few weeks ago explaining why I interview the way I do, namely with form questions. After thinking about it I can see how authors would find 'questions any author can answer' annoying if enough people ask them. I will still ask them. Why? Because that's the kind of interview that works in store. An interview that's too specific turns off readers who don't understand what you're talking about. I personally don't like interviews that require me to have read everything the author's written in order to understand it or, conversely, which gives spoilers to the point that reading their book is no longer of interest. My interviews are designed to get customers in store to pick up the physical book and buy it. I want the interviews to tease and I want them to be accessible to every single person who walks down that aisle.

On the other hand, since I'm posting the interviews to the internet I can see the advantage of having some questions on my list that pertain to the interviewee specifically. So I'll be changing my questionnaire. I'll be adding a few new questions that focus on the interviewee. I'm not sure how successful I'll be. This type of interview is harder to do well, so don't expect too many changes at once while I get used to it and phase in a few more specific questions at a time. And the questionnaires that have come back to be posted in the next month or so will still be form style.

Also, for anyone who thinks that the questions don't go deep enough, that leave things open ended to the point that you - as a reader here - would like to know more, I'm sure all the authors I've interviewed would be overjoyed if you messaged/emailed them saying you'd read their interview here and would they please elaborate on...

Later this week I'll be posting my interview with James Knapp (debut author of State of Decay - and if you like the zombie idea, he's got a unique take on it). I also have the interview back from N. K. Jemisin (Hundred Thousand Kingdoms) and am working on a few others.

No comments: